Things to Do Around Kingaroy
Whether you’re staying for a day or a week, there’s plenty to do around Kingaroy 🙂
1. Kingaroy Peanut Silos – The Kingaroy Peanut Silos is a popular tourist attraction and an iconic landmark in the region. The silos were once used to store peanuts during harvest season and were repurposed into an educational centre that showcases the history and evolution of the peanut industry in the area. They used to run tours, and may do so again in the future, but not at the time of this writing. This attraction is always worth a drive-by and a few photos.
2. Wine Trail – The South Burnett wine trail is a must-visit for wine enthusiasts. The trail takes you through several wineries that offer wine tasting and tours, including Kingsley Grove Estate, Moffatdale Ridge Winery, and Barambah Cellars. You can also enjoy a leisurely lunch or picnic in the beautiful vineyards. This activity is a full-day excursion.
3. Kingaroy Observatory – The Kingaroy Observatory is a popular attraction for stargazers and astronomy enthusiasts. Visitors can view stars, planets, and other celestial objects through high-quality telescopes, while experienced guides explain the science behind the phenomena. The observatory is open in the evenings and can be a fun evening activity.
4. Bjelke-Petersen Dam – The Bjelke-Petersen Dam is a popular spot for fishing, boating, and picnicking. The dam has several camping and picnic grounds and offers stunning views of the surrounding countryside. Visitors can also take a leisurely walk or bike ride along the nearby trails. This activity is a full-day excursion.
5. Bunya Mountains National Park – The Bunya Mountains National Park is a must-visit destination for nature lovers. The park is home to several species of wildlife, including the iconic bunya pine trees, and offers several walking trails, including the popular Scenic Circuit Trail. Visitors can also enjoy scenic drives through the park, birdwatching, and picnicking. This activity is a full-day excursion.
6. Kingaroy Heritage Museum – The Kingaroy Heritage Museum is a fascinating place to learn about the history of the region. The museum has several exhibits that showcase the culture and lifestyle of the early settlers in the area, including farming equipment, vintage cars, and household items. Visitors can take a self-guided tour and learn about the history and culture of the area. This attraction can be done in the morning or afternoon.
7. Nanango – Nanango is a historic town that is well worth a visit. The town has several shops, cafes, and art galleries to explore, including the Nanango Country Markets, which are held on the first Saturday of each month. Visitors can also take a self-guided heritage trail and learn about the rich history of the area. This activity can be done in the morning or afternoon.
8. Boondooma Dam – Boondooma Dam is a popular spot for birdwatching and fishing. The dam is home to several species of birds, including pelicans, eagles, and ducks, and offers several scenic spots for picnicking and relaxing. Visitors can also hire a boat or kayak and explore the dam. This activity can be done in the morning or afternoon.
9. South Burnett Rail Trail – The South Burnett Rail Trail is a new addition to the region’s attractions. The trail is a 44-kilometre-long adventure cycling track that follows the old railway line and connects several local towns, including Kingaroy, Murgon, and Wondai (and can connect with other rail trails to over 80 KMs!). The trail offers stunning views of the surrounding countryside, and visitors can also stop at several attractions, including wineries, old country pubs and much more.
10. BaconFest – Running the 2nd last weekend in August, BaconFest is one of Kingaroy’s premier events – Bringing out all the locals as well as travellers from near and far, you’ll discover a variety of shows as well as displays and stalls from all over the region. Book your accommodation early though, as during BaconFest we’re usually sold out!
11. Wooroolin Wetlands – The Wooroolin Wetlands is a beautiful nature reserve that is home to several species of birds and other wildlife. Visitors can take a leisurely walk along the boardwalks and enjoy the peaceful surroundings, or bring their binoculars and do some birdwatching. This activity can be done in the morning or afternoon.
12. Taabinga Homestead – The Taabinga Homestead is a historic property that dates back to the 1840s. The homestead offers guided tours that take visitors through the historic buildings and explain the history and culture of the early settlers in the area. Visitors can also enjoy a picnic in the beautiful gardens. This activity can be done in the morning or afternoon.
13. Burrandowan Picnic Races – The Burrandowan Picnic Races is an annual event that takes place in May and is a popular attraction for locals and visitors alike. The event features horse racing, live music, food stalls, and other entertainment. This activity is a full-day excursion.
14. Yarraman Heritage Centre – The Yarraman Heritage Centre is a museum that showcases the history and culture of the local area. The museum has several exhibits, including farming equipment, vintage cars, and other memorabilia. Visitors can take a self-guided tour and learn about the history of the area. This attraction can be done in the morning or afternoon.
15. Kingaroy Regional Art Gallery – The Kingaroy Regional Art Gallery is a great place to experience local and regional art. The gallery has several exhibitions throughout the year, featuring both traditional and contemporary art forms. Visitors can also participate in workshops and other art-related events. This attraction can be done in the morning or afternoon.
These are just a few more options to explore in and around Kingaroy, Queensland. Whether you are interested in history, nature, culture, or outdoor adventure, there’s something for everyone in this beautiful part of Australia.